Describes the philosophy and mission of Watchdog for Accuracy in News-reporting, Japan and its business activities and growth plan.
Philosophy and Misson
- Based on recognition that the most important value in a democratic society is the right to free access to information and freedom of the press.
- Aim to be a neutral third party verification agency for the major Japanese media.
- Protect against the adverse affects of damage caused by inaccurate reporting, information manipulation, etc.
- Improve the ethics of news coverage, in service of the people’s right to obtain accurate information.
- Contribute to the realization of a civil society wherein everyone can enjoy the benefits of a genuinely free press.
- Manage the website “GoHoo” for monitoring news by the mass media.
- Support for parties affected by particular reporting, providing space for them to refute the claims made therein.
- Research and propose in order to improve the accuracy and ethicality of new-reporting.
- Hold symposiums and seminars for proposals in order to examine the role of the media.
- Construct and implement a quality control system for third party inspection of the mass media.
- Any business incidental or related to the preceding items.